2 Day Workshop with Claire Villarreal PhD.
April 4, Saturday 12 – 5 PST
April 5, Sunday 12 – 5 PST
$95 Saturday Only
$90 Sunday Only
$175 Both days
What happens after we die?
If something within us continues, where is that “something” while we’re alive?
No one has a conclusive answer to these questions, but between modern research and ancient wisdom traditions, we can make some informed guesses. A team from the University of Virginia (UVA) has been researching reincarnation since the 1960s, and there’s a lot of data on near death experiences (NDEs); together, these two bodies of material are beginning to shed light on that most mysterious question:
What happens as and after we die?
The Tibetan Buddhist tradition has been actively experimenting with that very question for over a thousand years. Practitioners in that tradition routinely train to die, and many of their teachings can help us “busy, modern Westerners” to navigate life without losing sight of what’s most important to us. At the end of the day, we can even learn more about who we are now and what hidden capabilities our minds contain.
Here’s a breakdown of what we’ll be covering in the workshop. You are welcome to join us for the whole weekend or on just one of the days. Attending on Saturday is not necessary to attend on Sunday but it will prepare a foundation to help you understand the Sunday materials at a deeper level.
Saturday: What is “Mind?”
- “Mind,” in the world of meditation, has layers. There is your everyday “conceptual” mind that helps you survive, navigate and succeed in this physical world. You know this layer of your mind quite well.
- You also have a level of mind, called “non-conceptual” mind, that is capable of being completely present and aware without the filters of your past experience, past prejudices, and your everyday conceptual mind. And this is where it starts to get fascinating! We will be working with practices to help us understand and distinguish between these two layers of mind.
- Why is this fascinating? Because it helps us understand and make sense of what is going on with altered states of consciousness like: deep meditative experience, experiences people report as part of near death experiences, and reincarnation.
- Review research on Reincarnation and Near Death Experiences (NDEs) from the UVA team and others,
- Learn how this research is conducted.
- Go over sample case studies of NDE’s and Reincarnation.
- Explore Tibetan understanding of the process of death and rebirth,
- Cover the role of intention/aspiration and how that makes a different type of rebirth possible,
- Learn practices to enrich our lives by letting go of who we think we are and contemplating the part of us that will survive this lifetime.
IT’S EASY TO PARTICIPATE ONLINE
You will receive the link in your email receipt and we will also email you the link 15-30 minutes before each class starts. We are using the zoom.us platform. It’s super easy! Just click on the link in your email. You will be prompted to download the app to your device (phone, tablet, or computer) if you don’t already have it. It only takes a minute or so!
Click below for an instructional pdf with instructions for:
How to Use Zoom for Online Meditation
We love when Claire comes to visit! The subject of Reincarnation and NDE’s from both the scientific and Buddhist Traditions have been Claire’s favorite topic for decades and she knows a lot about it! I’ve taken this workshop from her before and am excited to bring it to Hamsa for all of you to experience. Find out a little bit about Claire here.